Once upon a time in Taipei, BBC presenter Nik Gowing was speaking at a luncheon to promote the launch of the BBC World TV channel in Taiwan.
- Television is the devil's own instrument
- By its very nature, television distorts and deflects
- Not only CAN the camera lie, it always lies
For example, television almost always:
- refers to Taiwan as "the island" instead of "the country"
- calls the governors of Formosa merely "Taiwan authorities" instead of "Taiwan's government"
- calls the democratically elected head of state "Taiwan's leader" instead of "Taiwan's president"